Thursday 9 July 2020

The God of Highschool Anime First Impressions

 With the brand new partnership between Web toon and Crunchyroll, we’ve already seen the approach Tower of God took, now it’s timeto see if the God of High school can live up to… whatever name people give it, as I’mnot all too entirely familiar with this series. While I am a huge and massive fan of Webtoons(a quick look at my second channel says all you need to know about that), I am not typicallyinterested in the Shounen styled stories that Webtoon has outside of Unordinary. So to be honest I have no expectations forthis series going in and honestly coming out of it - not too impressed with what’s onoffer here. And I do want to preface by saying I am nota huge fan of modern shounen, I like shounen, but I think at this point every time a brandnew overhyped shounen comes out I only roll my eyes at how standard and cliche they are.

So with this being said, let’s get in to it, this is my first impression of The God of High school Episode 1. So first off, MAPPA is working on this anime and you can immediately see the maker’s mark with this series from a stylistic and visual perspective. Characters have that full, muscular tone and look you’d expect from MAPPA after series like Inuyashiki and Kakegurui. It’s obvious they took that expertise and simply iterated upon it with Go H. And in this way, the show is genuinely impressive in episode 1. I also enjoy how the faces are modeled inthis, and without even reading one single comment, I already know many of you dislike it as it’s not the traditional anime style. But that’s actually why I enjoy it, then oses and ears being that way just make the show look unique compared to other anime inits lane. I also enjoyed the coloring and tone the anime has, it’s very much Kakegurui’s saturated tones with a crushing darker tone to them. It gives the anime a very modern aestheticand MAPPA feel you’d come to expect with recent releases. The animation as well seems to be fairly on point, but not very impressive in terms of intricate details. In this sense, the animation is very standard,almost generic in its presentation at times which does leave something to be desired at the moment. Of course we’ll have to see how this continuesin the next episode. But from what I see, the animation so farrelies heavily on the camera’s movement rather than steady shots, to put it more simply the camera follows the action.
Now I won’t say I hate this outright, the sethings are good in openings and the like, and used rarely can be amazing. The best use that you viewers may know is Ufotable’s recent release with Demon Slayer. But here it takes away from the impact of the fighting, the oomph of the hits are flattened somewhat and I’m left wondering why I get the feeling this feels like a more discounted version of One Punch Man mixed with the 2000’s Digimon film with the Smash Mouth OST. Of course, it’s too early to say for sure when it comes to animation, but right now nothing really impressed me. For example, the bike chase sequence. Outside of it having no consequence to the story itself, it was decently entertaining and gave us very basic impressions of what the character’s might be like. The animation was fine in this, but nothing that really got me excited for the show at all. There were cool shots like the girl standin gon the bike with a kendo stick, but beyond that, nothing else made me say “oh damn now this is why I have to watch GoH”. Which leads me to the overall story as of this moment. It’s cliche, and it’s kinda boring and a little scattershot. Take for example the opening sequence which doesn’t really do much to get me invested in the story. But as well the fight at the end of this episode in the arena.

I tuned out multiple times and found the comedy to be cliche and almost juvenile in some instances with the whole elephant on the underwear thing. That really didn’t do a lot to help my enjoyment of it at all. Also, why does star eye guy, our (maybe) main character want to fight the blonde dude? This brings me to another issue, and that’s the fact that if you were trying to find a story to connect to, it was almost not even there at all. And the story that was there wasn’t really good or even mildly engaging. This is something I hope we resolve with episode 2, but I feel like this anime is appealing to an audience that for some reason - doesn’tcare about story in shounen? I mean, right now my first impression is thatit’s a bunch of people fighting in a tournament. Which isn’t too bad in of itself, it’sthe most overdone trope in shounen outside of the speaking in your head about what youcan do to defeat your enemy, but man so far this just doesn’t have much originalityto it. Also the moments of comedy in this first episodejust are not funny at all, and rely on people being hurt in some way to achieve the funnies. For example, kendo stick girl getting rammedinto a traffic sign or before that when she gets hit in the face with a bike. I mean, this is classic looney toons stylecomedy, but that stuff I’ve seen over and over again that I’m really tired of it bythis point. As well you have both the main guy and girlhaving the same idea of the grandma who got her purse stolen going through her life story. I mean, I don’t get it, honestly, maybeI’m just bored during quarantine but I just didn’t find it funny.

I don’t know, maybe it was the context orsomething, maybe it’s me - buy maybe it’s not, this is only my first impressions afterall, not a full review or my final thoughts at all. Also, what are their names?! I hate series where I don’t immediatelyget connected to the characters. I guess the one I like the most is the kendostick girl, but that’s because she’s the only one to show the most charisma. And it’s not like any of them are trulyinteresting right now anyways. Seems like the main guy is the main guy fromDigimon, but yet another tragic-esque sad backstory or something, his friend is just…a friend?... question mark?... and the girl get hit bya lot of inanimate objects randomly. That’s our character traits right now andwe don’t really have names for them in this first episode. Nothing about the characters at all got meinterested in this series and to be honest, while I wasn’t expecting anything, I wasstill let down somehow in this regard. But I asked yesterday on my community tabwhat you, my viewers and passersby from around the Youtube community thought of the first episode and I’ll be picking the most interesting ones to discuss. First, we have Eneniem Yale talking about the noses, he doesn’t like them. And honestly, I totally get it man, I reallydo. I think a lot of this kind of thing we saw with The Promised Neverland, and you can compare it to modern Top 40 music in America. A lot of it is the same I VI V VII chord progressionsand beats just regurgitated over and over.

It’s generally the same idea here, thoughthe music industries problem has different issues which arise from that. We are so used to one certain style in animeand that’s the super sleek looking character styles so when we see anything that doesn’tlook like a hammered down nail, we nail it down. To me, the designs were absolutely fine, butif you’re only used to eating cheeseburgers and pizza, broccoli doesn’t taste good becauseyou have to acquire the taste and then suddenly you like broccoli and carrots. Now I want broccoli and carrots. Good discussion you guys, thanks for commenting. Next up we have this comment coming in withthe truth - it looks like Digimon. And… yeah it certainly looks like Digimon,but not through any fault of its own and as well it’s not a bad thing. But man… yeah this really looks like Digimon,or like I said One Punch Man x Digimon. Good comment and thank you for the comment. One of the greatest commenters in the animecommunity, the legendary Mathew Lucas (seriously give this guy his props if you see him, he’sabsolutely dedicated to anime and anime channels supporting a lot of them). He says this will be one of the most talkedabout anime of the season and I agree. But I also think based off episode 1, mostpeople will forget about it by the end if they don’t really kick it into high gearin these next episodes. Thank you for the comment. Nothing Yet Everything brings up the OST inhis comment and honestly, I agree. The music is pretty solid so far, and lookingit up it seems the person behind the score is Arisa Okehazama who did really well onthis score.

She seems to be working with MAPPA on theirupcoming anime Jujutsu Kaisen, so props to her, nothing but love. And good comment, appreciate it. Solo Warrior says the episode skipped somestuff, in particular about the recruiting of the fighters, the three MC’s, Mori andR’s, the blonde guy was not mentioned but shown in the Webtoon. Elain lo po bia also says they took out thebit when Moris is saying to himself he’s the best fighter and also the fight with V.And man, this is really disappointing to read, because they did this with Tower of God whichserved to harm an otherwise okay story. This was my fear that they would cut stuffand rush, and it seems that they’re not above doing that. This also explains why the pacing and writingin this first episode makes absolutely no sense at all. Thanks for the comments and replies guys.
 M. Staudinger (hope I pronounced that right,I apologize if not), he says that the power scaling at some point made him quit. Of course, don’t know if that means it gotto DBZ or Naruto levels of strange, but still it seems this was an issue for him. But he goes on to say it’s entertaining,but he doesn’t enjoy it much now. And honestly, that’s the feeling I got fromthe very first episode. I got the feeling this series will probablygo down the route of just having insane bonkers fights with crazy power scaling because…well… it’s a shounen. Thank you for the comment. That’s it for the comments though, I will leave a link to the post just in case you want to read more comments I had to leaveout or want to read new comments that I’m sure by the time this video goes up, willhave probably 100 more comments. Also to get notifications for the communitytab, when you ring the bell hit all notifications. This will let Youtube know to send those yourway when I post them, or you can just bookmark my community tab as I post once a day on thecommunity tab without fail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howl's Moving Castle Anime Movies Review

 Hey, what's up guys, how we doing? Let's talk about Howl's Moving Castle. This Studio Ghibli film is directed by thelegendary ...